Sunday, March 9, 2008

I am not a human, I am a representation of a human

One of the greatest art pieces ever, in my mind at least, La trahison des images or The Treachery of Images. It was painted by Belgian Surrealist painter René Magritte in 1929. It is probably one of the most mind blowing, head exploding paintings in the world because of it's clever and witty logic. People have mentioned it in many books and even in the Simpson's they used the logic to humor people. The image below is the painting I was talking about.

As you can see in the bottom it has writing. In literal translation from French to English it says "This is not a pipe". Crazy don't you thing, your first impression is "Yes it is!!! It is a pipe!!!" But really it's "A painting of a pipe." not a literal pipe so therefore the writing is correct. Weird how the human's first reaction is "That's a pipe." but really in correct grammar it is a painting of a pipe. But then it makes me think... If I looked at a "building" then wouldn't it be instead "My vision of the building" because partially blind people see it in a different way and it is not the same thing. Well maybe I'm thinking way to deeply but I also notice that I phrase it incorrectly it should be "A digital image of a painting of a pipe.". I hope this makes you view the world in a different way.
If you wish to see more art by René Magritte go to:
http://www.magritte.com/

No comments: